Testing the old Mamiya C220

I’m headed to California to visit family, and I’m taking with me my Mamiya C220 twin-lens reflex camera. I haven’t used it in years, but I want to see if creating pictures with it is something I want to add to the capabilities of Ocediis Media, Limited. I’ll shoot black and white film. Also while in California, I’ll begin work on getting my old enlarger transported home to Colorado so I can develop prints in a darkroom I’ll set up in my house.

Mamiya C220 BW

The Products for Yeager’s are done and delivered

I finished off the photographs and video for Yeager’s Market in Lake George yesterday, and I delivered them this morning. I learned a lot of lessons about my brand new video setup that I can apply to future videos. Lisa, the owner of the market, has put her heart and soul into making it a great place to pick up the groceries one may need or to find a great piece of art or craft from local Colorado artisans.

Here is the video.

Now, it’s time to grab a beer and go work on some wood stuff.

Work on the Yeager’s Market promo is coming along nicely

I’m pretty much done with processing the photographs for Yeager’s Market and Cafe in Photoshop. I’ve put them aside so I can come back to them later and look at them with new eyes.

I’ve spent the lion’s share of the day working on the promotional video. Since I recorded the scenes using an Atomos Shogun recorder, all of the raw video files are in the Apple ProRes codec. That has turned out to be a fortuitous decision.

The store is lit by lights employing significantly warm-colored bulbs. But in the lighting mix is the much cooler-colored light from outside, coming through the windows. This makes for a lighting situation that is proving kinda complex to correct in post. I thought this might be a problem. But as Yeager’s is an actively operating business, I really couldn’t just pull the windows closed. I did bring a light bank of five neutrally-balanced fluorescent bulbs, but I found that it didn’t overcome the general conditions and only served to introduce a third color of light into the equation. The overall lighting was overall somewhat dark, but I recorded using the lowest ISO settings I possibly could.

Thankfully, the Panasonic GH4’s sensor did a commendable job of gathering that light which it kicked over to the Shogun. By working with the three-way color corrector in Premiere Pro and the color balance and grain removal effects in After Effects, I’ve got the lighting situation straightened out.

And while I had some of the raw files open in After Effects, I also dropped in some words that move around in relation to the camera movement. The idea for this is taken from the TV show, Fringe. Pretty snazzy.

I believe that I’ll be finished with everything by tomorrow, able to deliver on Saturday. Not bad for the first real test spin with the GH4. Right now, I’m off to find a little whiskey. Then I’ll make and consume some evening chow. And after that, I’ll put a few more hours into the video.

Primary shooting complete for the Yeager’s Market and Cafe promo video

Prompted by fellow photog and good friend Spencer Polwort, I’ve just completed shooting video and photos for a cool store in Lake George, Colorado named Yeager’s General Goods. I’ve booted up the Mac Pro, downloaded all of the raw footage to my hard drive, filled the whiskey glass, and am now getting ready to catalog the stuff and start the processing. I’m thinking I’ll start with the photos and then move onto the video. All photography was done on my Nikon D800 (nicknamed “Thor’s Hammer”), and all of the video was shot on my Panasonic GH4 fed into an Atomos Shogun video recorder via HDMI.


Test Driving the Panasonic GH4

The other day, I headed out into the Pike National Forest with the Panasonic GH4 using Rokinon 12mm and 24mm MFT cine lenses. The GH4 has a lot of great features for dialing in your settings and focus like peaking and zebra. Though the larger of the two lenses that I used (the 24mm) is relatively fat, the camera body/lens setup was really easy to handle. Attaching it onto my Glidetrack camera slider mounted on a movie camera tripod gave me beautifully smooth video that edited fairly well in Adobe Premiere Pro.

For this experiment, I didn’t shoot in the 4K that the GH4 is capable of, instead electing to shoot in 1080p for space savings for the time being. Here is the 1-minute video I shot.

Another rebirth of the blog

Well, after the second crash by our web server, we’re finally getting around to reviving the Ocediis Media blog. We have some informative and fun content coming for you. And we have some great projects (past, present, and upcoming) to share with you here. So stay tuned as we fill the blog back up.

Also, as the web server failed, it erased the Ocediis Media Website. I’ve uploaded an older version to serve as a placeholder. I’ll get to work on a new one and get it up as soon as possible.

Got a new GoPro and I’m not afraid to use it!

One of my recent acquisitions is a new GoPro Hero4 Black Edition. I charged out and intercepted the delivery guy before he could even get out of his truck. Once I got the box inside, I tore it open and triumphantly removed the little video camera. While the batteries charged, I messed around with my old mounts and some new ones I got. I love how I can still use all of my old GoPro mounts with the most current generation of GoPro cameras! I really wanted to mess around with the 120 frames-per-second slow-motion capability. To quickly satisfy that want, I dropped the Hero4 into an existing mount stuck to my Jeep, grabbed my tripod and GoPro tripod mount, and headed out into Pike National Forest.

Between the little waterfalls and the stream crossings, I have a bunch of water in this video. By the way, it was shot 100% on the Hero4.